Additional PhD Studentships in AI at City University, London, UK.

Hi,

This has just been announced!

To support the launch of our new "Professional Pathway" undergraduate
degrees, we have 4 PhD studentships at the School of Informatics, City
University, London, UK that we would like to fill ASAP. The expected date
of enrollment is the beginning of Oct 2000.

AI research at City covers a wide range of interests, e.g.

- Multi Agent Systems
- Neural Networks
- Data Mining
- Intelligent Optimisation and Evolutionary Computing
- Genetic Programming
- Logic Programming and Constraints
- Bioinformatics
- Music and Creativity

Non-AI research strengths at City include: systems architecture (eg. high
performance adaptive databases), software reliability, requirements
engineering, HCI, software engineering, and programming languages.

Details of research at City can be found at:

http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/

These studentships are open to UK, EU, and overseas students.

Each studentship will be offered for three years subject to satisfactory
progress. The value of the studentship is an annual stipend of 8,500
pounds in 2000/1 plus fees paid.

Students will be *required* to undertake demonstrating/marking of up to 6
hours per week.  This approximates to around 1,500-2,000 pounds per annum
depending on the duties undertaken.  This will be paid in addition to the
studentship.

These places are funded to support the launch of our new Professional
Pathway degree courses.

Professional Pathway is a new and innovative mode of course delivery that
provides City's IT undergraduates with workplace learning and e-learning
within their course. City's well-established courses in Informatics will
be offered in this new mode of study from autumn 2000. With Professional
Pathway, IT undergraduates transfer to relevant employment after one year
of full-time study and complete their degrees by a combination of
day-release and e-learning over up to three more years. For further
details see:

http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/liaison/liaison.html

Again please contact me if interested. They'll be snapped up soon so I
would RSVP ASAP...:-)

Dr Andrew Tuson MA(Oxon) MSc(Edin) PhD(Edin) GRSC (andrewt@soi.city.ac.uk)

Lecturer, Department of Computing, City University, London, UK.