CFP - GECCO workshop

[Apologies if you receive this more than once]

Dear researcher,

We would like to inform you that the deadline for our GECCO-2004
workshop on Adaptation, Approximation, and Learning in Evolutionary Computation
is now extended. Please see the details below.
We heartily invite your submissions.

More information can be found at
http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/jirio/GECCO-2004/

Best regards

Jiri Ocenasek, Sibylle Mueller, Stefan Kern, Nikolaus Hansen
& Petros Koumoutsakos

-----------------------------------
GECCO-2004 Workshop Call for Papers
-----------------------------------
Adaptation, Approximation, and Learning in Evolutionary Computation

                     to be held as part of the
    Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO)
                      Seattle, Washington USA
              June 26-30, 2004 (Saturday - Wednesday)
                     http://www.isgec.org/gecco-2004/

DESCRIPTION OF THE WORKSHOP TOPIC:

The goal of introducing learning to EAs to enhance their efficiency has
quite some history: In evolution strategies (ES), this form of learning
is usually referred to as 'adaptation' and was developed since the
beginnings of ES in the 1970's.  In genetic algorithms (GA),
the learning is called 'estimation of distribution' or 'learning
probability distributions' and has been the subject of intensive research
starting in the 1990's. Moreover, in the last years the topic of
learning functions, called 'approximation', has gained increasing
attention from many researchers. Although belonging to the same community,
there has not been so much interaction between the researchers from the
different fields to work together towards an increasing efficiency of their
algorithms. However, the underlying ideas are often similar. Therefore, we
propose to bring together researchers from the field of ES and GA to discuss
their ideas. Under the unifying concept of learning, we hope that this exchange
will result in interesting new ideas and will lead to novel, rigorous
and efficient algorithms.

WORKSHOP AND PAPER FORMAT:

The workshop will run for half a day. The program will include:
o  1-2 presentation by invited speakers
o  paper presentations (each about 20 minutes)
o  Panel discussion:
   "Summary and future work"

Please see the GECCO 2004 paper submission details for the format of the
papers.

IMPORTANT DATES (updated):

April 4     Paper submission (from 4 to 10 pages, only PDF accepted).
            Please send your paper to Jiri Ocenasek (jirio@inf.ethz.ch).

April 19    Notification of paper acceptance/rejection.

April 28    Camera ready paper (only PDF accepted).

June 27     Workshop in Seattle.

WORKSHOP ORGANIZERS:

Jiri Ocenasek, Sibylle Mueller, Stefan Kern, Nikolaus Hansen, Petros Koumoutsakos

Contact person:
             Dr. Jiri Ocenasek
             Computational Lab & Institute of Computational Science
             Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zuerich
             ETH Zentrum, HRS H9
             CH-8092 Zuerich
             Switzerland
Email:       jirio@inf.ethz.ch