An Intensive 5-Day Course on Problem Solving using Evolutionary Computation

Apologies for Multiple posts.

Below is the advert for a short but intensive 5-day course we'll be
organising in Sept, 2003 titled Problem Solving using Evo Comp. All who are
interested can contact me for more details.

Thanks,
Vibhu

Problem Solving using Evolutionary Computation
=================================

An Intensive 5-Day Course
===================
The Centre of Excellence for Research in Computational Intelligence and
Applications (CERCIA) is organising an intensive 5-Day course from Monday,
22nd of September to Friday, 26th of September, 2003 titled Problem Solving
using Evolutionary Computation. Evolutionary Computation is an established
computational technique that is inspired by the process of evolution in
nature. It has several real-world applications in optimisation, engineering
design and the creative arts and is one of the most promising computing
technologies today.

CERCIA was recently set up to exploit Computational Intelligence (CI)
techniques for industry, business and government organisations by
capitalising on the world-class research in CI in the School of Computer
Science at the University of Birmingham. Computational Intelligence is the
study of computational systems that adapt and learn by interacting with
their environments without using explicit human knowledge and have diverse
applications in a wide range of fields from engineering and
telecommunications to finance, economics and the social sciences. CERCIA
organises short courses which are taught by experts in their respective
fields and are designed to either introduce or impart advanced knowledge in
the field of CI to students and industry. We stress practical applications
of these techniques so that these can be used to solve complex practical
problems which are difficult to solve using conventional methods.

Course Details
 ==========
This course does not assume any previous knowledge in the field of
Evolutionary Computation. Some programming experience in an object oriented
programming language (like JAVA) is recommended but not necessary. The
course begins with a thorough introduction to the field of Evolutionary
Computation (EC) and on each subsequent day covers one application area of
the technique. The course format places great emphasis on learning-by-doing
and on each day lecture sessions are followed by tutored lab session in
which the student solves practical problems using EC techniques covered
earlier in the day. We strongly feel that on completion of this course the
student will be able to apply EC techniques to practical problems. For a
detailed time-table of the course please .

The cost of the course is £650 (this includes Lunch and Coffee). Several
full and partial scholarships are available. For more details about the
course you can visit the CERCIA website (http://www.cercia.ac.uk) and
download the Course Flyer (http://www.cercia.ac.uk/courses/Courseflyer.PDF)
and Complete Timetable
(http://www.cercia.ac.uk/courses/CourseTimeTable.PDF). To register or get
more details about the course please contact me via email or phone.

For more details about the course please contact:
Vibhu Walia
Centre Manager, CERCIA, School of Computer Science
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston
Birmingham B15 2TT,
Tel: +44 (0) 121 414 2215. Fax: +44 (0) 121 414 2799.
Email:V.Walia@cercia.ac.uk.