PhD Studentship at Nottingham, UK

A funded PhD position is available within the Automated Scheduling,
Optimisation and Planning (ASAP) research group within the School of
Computer Science and IT at The University of Nottingham.
This research is due to start on the 1st February 2002.

A brief description of the proposed research is given below

We plan to investigate and further develop recent advances in heuristic
optimisation techniques to produce good quality shelf layouts (also
called planograms). Specifically, the objectives are to

1.Investigate modelling issues in formulating a shelf layout and develop
appropriate models. The models will be capable of being optimised by
exact techniques (e.g. linear programming, graph theory etc.) and AI
techniques (e.g. genetic algorithms, ant algorithms, evolutionary
strategies, multi-objective approaches etc.)

2.Investigate and develop operational research and artificial
intelligence techniques to optimise the model developed in 1. The range
of techniques we will consider will include initialisation strategies
(so that we start searching from reasonable solutions), decomposition
(to break the larger problem into sub-problems which may be easier to
solve), case based reasoning (both as an initialisation strategy and as
a method in its own right) and hybridisation (to combine two (or more)
different algorithms).

3.Implement a prototype system for the next generation of planograms.
These will produce planograms of higher quality than is currently
available, using less time and labour than current methods.

4.Evaluate and assess the model on a range of real problems from the
retail sector.

More details (including a much fuller description of the research) can
be seen at

http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gxk/positions/

You are encouraged to look at this information.

The closing date for this position is 15th November 2001.

If you apply, as well as sending your CV, please ensure you also include
the following

The reference for this position, which is "GXKplanogram"
Your degree subject together with the classification achieved or
expected
Two people we can approach for references, with EMAIL addresses
If applicable, your English language qualifications, with the score
obtained
When you would be available to start, should the position be offered

It is important that we have this information and failure to provide it
will slow down your application.

Applications should be made to
Mrs Diana French
School of Computer Science and IT
University of Nottingham
Jubilee Campus, Wollaton Road, Nottingham
NG8 1BB, UK
email : dxf@cs.nott.ac.uk

--
Dr. Graham Kendall - Room C76
Lecturer, School Of Computer Science & IT
University of Nottingham
Jubilee Campus, Wollaton Road, Nottingham
NG8 1BB, UK
Tel : +44 (0) 115 846 6514
Fax +44 (0) 115 951 4249
EMAIL : gxk@cs.nott.ac.uk