WCLC'04 - Call for Papers

********** WCLC 2004 -- Call For Papers ************

World Congress on Lateral-Computing, WCLC 2004

Dec 17th -19th, 2004, Banglaore, India

Website: http://www.lateral-computing.org/wclc/

Technical Co-Sponsors:
-IEEE Systems Man, Cybernetics Society
-World Federation on Soft Computing( WFSC)

Co-Sponsors:
-World Federation on Lateral COmputing ( WFLC)
-Infineon Technologies AG
-Bangalore Chapter of ACM
-IEEE Signal Processing Society Bangalore Chapter
-IEEE Bangalore Section
-IEEE AEOS-COM-LEOS chapter of India

The World Federation on Lateral-Computing ( WFLC) in association with
Bangalore Chapter of ACM invite you to participate in the First World
Congress on
Lateral-Computing ( WCLC). WCLC 2004 will be held in Bangalore India
during December 17th –19th, 2004. It will feature invited talks by
leading experts, tutorials, special sessions, paper presentations and
poster/demo sessions. Proceedings will be published by leading
international publisher.

Selected papers will be published by the Elsevier Science Journal of
Applied Soft Computing.

What is Lateral-Computing?
--------------------------
The traditional or conventional approach to solving computing problems
is to either build mathematical models or have a IF- THEN -ELSE
structure. The example for arriving at a solution in case of a chess
problem is using brute force search i.e., thinking logically through
exhaustively searching the moves. However, this approach is
computationally expensive and sometimes may arrive at poor solutions
such as in the case of pattern recognition, optimisation and certain
control problems.

Lateral-computing is lateral thinking approach to solving computing
problems By applying lateral-computing technique, a computationally
inexpensive, easy to implement, efficient, innovative unconventional
technique is arrived at for the computing problem at hand. A simple
problem of truck back up can be used for illustrating the
lateral-computing. This is one of the difficult tasks for traditional
computing techniques, and has been efficiently solved by the use of
fuzzy logic which is a lateral computing technique. Lateral-computing
sometimes arrives at a novel solution for particular computing problem
by using the model of how living beings such as humans, ants, honeybee
solve the problem or how pure crystals are formed by annealing, or
evolution of living beings or quantum mechanics etc.

Topics for WCLC 2004:
---------------------
The Lateral-Computing paradigm encompasses all the
“unconventional Computing” techniques such as:
- Swarm Intelligence,
- Agent Based systems,
- Grid Computing,
- Simulated Annealing,
- Autonomic Computing
- Optical Computing
- DNA Computing/Molecular Computing
- Quantum Computing
- Fractal Computing
- Soft Computing :
o Fuzzy Logic,
o Neuro Computing,
o Evolutionary Computing,
o Probabilistic/Chaotic Computing,
o Machine Learning

The major applications of Lateral-Computing are in :
 > Image and Signal Processing
 > Control and Automation
 > Industrial and Medical Diagnosis
 > Bioinformatics
 > Data Mining
 > Business Information Systems, E-commerce
 > Internet Modeling, Communication and Networking, Web Mining
 > Decision Support Systems
 > Knowledge Management
 > Information Retrieval and Text Mining
 > Speech and Natural Language Processing

WCLC 2004 Organization
----------------------
General Chair:
Suthikshn Kumar, Larsen & Toubro Infotech, India,
Suthikshn.kumar@lntinfotech.com

Technical Program Co-Chairs:
Ajith Abraham, Oklohoma State University, USA, ajith.abraham@ieee.org
Jens Harnisch, Infineon Technologies, Germany, Jens.harnisch@infineon.com
Antony Satyadas, IBM USA, antony.satyadas@us.ibm.com

Technical Program Committee
Rajkumar Roy, Cranfield (UK)
S. Srinivasa, IIIT-B ( India)
F. Beritelli, University of Catania(Italy)
M. Palaniswami, Melbourne(Australia)
M.A.L. Thathachar, IISc ( India)
Heiko Timm, Magdeburg (Germany)
M. Köppen, Fraunhofer-IPK Berlin (Germany)
Simon Thorpe, SpikeNet-technology.com ( France),
Sankar Pal, ISI (India)
Jens Harnisch, Infineon Technologies(Germany)
A.Pitsillides, Univeristy of Cyprus ( Cyprus)
Laxmidhar Behera, IIT Kanpur ( India)
Johnson P Thomas, Oklohoma State University (USA)
Sanghamitra Bandyopadhyay, ISI -Kolkata(India)
Marco Russo( Italy),
Victor Taratoukhine ( UK)
Takeshi Furuhashi(Japan)
Ujjwal Maulik, Jadavpur University(India)
Murli Vishwanathan, University of Melbourne(Australia)
Rao Kotagiri, University of Melbourne(Australia)
Nalini Venkatasubramanian, University of California(USA)
N. Mani, Monash University (Australia)
B. Yegnanarayana, IIT Chennai(India),
G.K. Venayagamoorthy, University Missouri(USA)
C.Chandrashekar, IIT Chennai(India)
P.K Singh, UNSW(Australia)
M Nagendra Prasad, UNSW(Australia)
Rajkumar Buyya, University of Melbourne(Australia)
Rajendra Bopanna, University of Texas(USA)
Dheeraj Bhardwaj, IIT Delhi(India)
Andrew Sung, New Mexico Tech(USA)
Hillol Kargupta, University of Maryland(USA)
Goutam Chakraborty, Iwate Prefectural University(JAPAN)
Basabi Chakraborty, Iwate Prefectural University(JAPAN),
Debjani Chakraborty, I.I.T. Kharagpur(India),
Ashutosh Tiwari, Cranfield University (UK)
Krishna Palem, Georgia Tech (USA)
K.V.S. Hari, Indian Institute of Science, India
A. G. Ramakrishnan, Indian Institute of Science, India,
Thippur Sreenivas, Indian Institute of Science, India,
Hazem Numan Nounou, United Arab Emirates University, UAE,
Mohamed N. Nounou, United Arab Emirates University, UAE,
M.M. Sufyan Beg, Alighar Muslim University, India,
Gary Feng, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong,

Theme Chairs:
-------------
Fuzzy Systems:
Witold Pedrycz, University of Alberta, Canada,

Neural Networks:
Tom Gedeon, Australian National University, Australia,
Vasant Honavar, Iowa State University, USA,

Evolutionary Computing :
Carlos A. Coello Coello, CINVESTAV-IPN, Mexico,
Kalyanmoy Deb, Indian Institute of Technology, India,

Probabilistic-chaotic computing:
Yasuhiko Dote, Muroran Institute of Technology, Japan,
Janusz Kacprzyk, Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland,

DNA Computing
Takeshi Furuhashi, Mie University, Japan,

Swarm Intelligence
Vitorino Ramos, Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal,

Machine Learning
Clarence W. de Silva, University of British Columbia, Canada,

Intelligent Agents
Sandip Sen, University of Tulsa, USA,

Autonomic Computing
Antony Satyadas, IBM USA,

Distributed AI
Marcin Paprzycki, Oklahoma State Univ, USA,

Bio Inspired Computing
Moshe Sipper,

Knowledge Management
Suliman Hawemdeh, University of Oklahoma, USA,

Multimedia Informatics
Nalin Sharda, Victoria University(Australia),

Information Systems Security
Andrew Sung, New Mexico Tech(USA)

Genetic Programming
John R. Koza, Stanford University, USA,

Fractal Computing
Jeffrey Ventrella, Ventrella.com, USA,

Tutorial Chairs:
Sanghamitra Bandyopadhyay ISI -Kolkata(India)
Ujjwal Maulik, Jadavpur University(India),

Industry Liaison Committee chair:
Christian Woehler, Daimler Chrysler AG, Germany

Best Paper Award:
- Best paper ( overall)
- Best paper ( Innovation)
- Best student paper ( UG)
- Best student paper ( PG)

Important dates:
----------------
-August 15, 2004: Papers Submission/ Tutorial/ Special Session due
-October 2nd, 2004: Author notification
-October 30, 2004: Final papers due
( Refer to Author Instructions on the WCLC website)

About the Venue:
---------------
Bangalore is the "Silicon Valley", "IT Capital", "Garden City" of India.
Bangalore is home to several development centers for the leading
computing/communication/IT companies such as Intel, HP, Siemens,
Infineon, IBM etc. It has a large concentration of IT professionals(
approx 100,000). It has necessary infrastructure such as International
Airport with connections to major cities worldwide, luxury hotels,
business centers, Multinational banks,etc. Several tourist attractions
await the visitors.

WCLC 2004 Website:
http://www.lateral-computing.org/wclc/

WCLC 2004 Contacts:
Dr. Suthikshn Kumar
Project Manager, Communication and Embedded Systems,
Larsen & Toubro Infotech Limited, 3rd & 4th Floor, #2 Church Street,
Bangalore 560 001, India
Ph: 91-80-25323734/5/6, Fax: 91-80-25323738
Mobile: 91-80-36843344, Email: suthikshn.kumar@lntinfotech.com