Re: GA Info Required

shrikanth mysore wrote:

> hi
> I am Working on my graduate thesis on Genetic algorithms for Jobshop Rescheduling. Could any one please suggest good papers for knowing the State of art in Jobshop rescheduling and also use of Genetic algorithms.
> Thanks Shrikanth

If you really mean rescheduling as needed in stochastic and dynamic environments, you should have a look at the papers I list below. Instead of focusing on the problem of rescheduling alone, maybe you should consider working on the problem of robust and flexible scheduling also.

Papers on flexible and robust scheduling:

@Article{leon94,
  author = 	 {V. J. Leon and S. D. Wu and R. H. Storer},
  title = 	 {A game-theoretic control approach for job shops in the presence of disruptions},
  journal = 	 {International Journal of Production Research},
  year = 	 {1994},
  volume =	 {32},
  number =	 {6},
  pages =	 {1451-1476},
}

@Article{wu1,
  author = 	 {S. D. Wu and E. Byeon and R. H. Storer},
  title = 	 {A graph-theoretic decomposition of the job shop scheduling problem to achieve scheduling robustness},
  journal = 	 {Operations Research},
  year = 	 {1999},
  volume =	 {47},
  number =	 {1},
  pages =	 {113-124},
  month =	 {January-February}
}

@Article{leon,
  author = 	 {V. J. Leon and S. D. Wu and R. H. Storer},
  title = 	 {Robustness measures and robust scheduling for job shops},
  journal = 	 {IIE Transactions},
  year = 	 {1994},
  volume =	 {26},
  number =	 {5},
  pages =	 {32-43},
  month =	 {September}
}

@Book{kouvelis,
  author =	 {P. Kouvelis and G. Yu},
  title = 	 {Robust Discrete Optimization and Its Applications},
  publisher = 	 {Kluwer Academic Publishers},
  year = 	 {1997},
}

@InProceedings{brankejspflex,
  author = 	 {J. Branke and D. C. Mattfeld},
  title = 	 {Anticipation in Dynamic Optimization: The Scheduling Case},
  booktitle = 	 {Parallel Problem Solving from Nature - PPSN VI proceedings},
  pages =	 {253-262},
  year =	 {2000},
  editor =	 {M. Schoenauer and K. Deb and G. Rudolph and X. Yao and E. Lutton and J. J. Merelo and H. Schwefel},
  series =	 {LNCS vol. 1917},
  publisher =	 {Springer}
}

@InProceedings{hart2,
  author = 	 {E. Hart and P. Ross and J. Nelson},
  title = 	 {Producing Robust Schedules Via an Artificial Immune System},
  booktitle = 	 {Proceedings of the IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence},
  year =	 {1997},
}

@Article{mtjtardirob01,
  author = 	 {M. T. Jensen},
  title = 	 {Improving Robustness and Flexibility of Tardiness and Total
  Flowtime Job Shops using Robustness Measures},
  journal = 	 {Journal of Applied Soft Computing},
  pages =        {35-52},
  year = 	 {2001},
  volume =	 {1},
  number =	 {1}
}

@InProceedings{mtjgecco01b,
  author = 	 {M. T. Jensen},
  title = 	 {Finding Worst-Case Flexible Schedules using Coevolution},
  booktitle = 	 {Proceedings of GECCO 2001},
  pages =        {1144-1151},
  year =	 {2001},
}

I also recommend my Ph.D-thesis, which will be available in a few months. Good papers on job shop static scheduling include the reading suggested by Darrell Whitley as well as

@Article{jain99,
  author = 	 {A. S. Jain and S. Meeran},
  title = 	 {Deterministic job-shop scheduling: Past, present and future},
  journal = 	 {European Journal of Operational Research},
  year = 	 {1999},
  volume =	 {113},
  pages =	 {390-434},
}

Best regards,

Mikkel

    Mikkel T. Jensen,      Ph.D student of Computer Science
 Department of Computer Science, University of Aarhus, Denmark
 email:mjensen@daimi.au.dk    http://www.daimi.au.dk/~mjensen/