Job Announcement

Colorado State University is pleased to announce that
Michael Vose will be joining the Colorado State Artificial
Intelligence Lab and the Department of Computer Science.
The  Colorado State AI Lab is made up of

 Darrell Whitley: Genetic and Evolutionary Computation,  Machine Learning
Charles Anderson: Reinforcement Learning, Neural Networks, Machine Learning
      Adele Howe: Planning, Agents, Evaluation, Scheduling
  Ross Beveridge: Computer Vision,  Geometric Matching, Search
    Bruce Draper: Computer Vision,  Reinforcement Learning, Machine Learning
    Michael Vose: Genetic Algorithms, Random Heuristics Search, Dynamical Systems,

The Computer Science Department also has 2 or 3 new faculty positions open.
Salaries are highly competitive.  We are looking in all areas.
But we are particularly interested in databases, networks, bioinformatics,
parallel algorithms and parallel optimization, systems and robotics.
Persons working in these areas that also have interests in Evolutionary
Computation or AI are also encouraged to apply.  The Colorado State AI Lab
does a good deal of collaborative research with several jointly funded
research projects.

Individuals can contact me directly for more information.
The official Job Ad is attached.

Darrell Whitley,  Director, Colorado State AI Lab
Chair, Computer Science Search Committee
whitley@cs.colostate.edu

Tenure-Track Faculty Positions
Colorado State University
Department of Computer Science

The Department of Computer Science at Colorado State University solicits
applications for at least two tenure-track faculty positions, beginning
Fall 2001.  The appointments will be preferably made at the level of
assistant professor, but appointment at a more senior level is also
possible for candidates who can demonstrate a strong connection to
ongoing department research.  Applicants must have a Ph.D. in computer
science, computer engineering, or a related field.  Applicants will be
expected to teach undergraduate and graduate courses, and they must
demonstrate potential for excellence in research and teaching.

The Computer Science Department has 700 undergraduate majors and 80
graduate students enrolled in Master's and doctoral programs. The
department currently has 17 tenure-track faculty, with strong research
programs in artificial intelligence, software engineering, and parallel
and distributed computation. Computer facilities are excellent, and
there are ample opportunities for research collaborations with local
industry. Colorado State University, with an enrollment of 22,000
students, is located in Fort Collins, Colorado, an attractive community
of over 100,000 people, at the base of the Front Range of the Rocky
Mountains, 65 miles north of Denver.  The northern Front Range offers a
wide range of outdoor recreational activities. More information about
the department and its research programs can be obtained from the
department's home page at http://www.cs.colostate.edu.

Applicants should send a curriculum vitae and letters from at least
three professional references to: Faculty Search Committee, Computer
Science Department, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523.
Please include a statement indicating how your background and interests
match the expectations of the position(s) described above.  The
department's telephone number is 970-491-5862, and email inquiries
should be directed to faculty-search@cs.colostate.edu. Screening of
applications will begin November 1, 2000, and continue until the
position is filled.

Colorado State University is an EEO/AA employer. Office of Equal
Opportunity: 101 Student Services.

|Darrell Whitley             EMAIL:  whitley@cs.colostate.edu     |
|Computer Science            PHONE: (970) 491-5373                |
|Colorado State University     FAX: (970) 491-2466                |
|Fort Collins, CO 80523       http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~whitley|
|    __o   1993:2,555  1994:3,145  1995:3,030  1996:3,215   o__   |
| _ \ <,   1997:3,355  1998:3,506  1999:4,080  2000:3,140   .>/ _ |
|(*)/,(*)  in the Rockies and Environs                    (*),\(*)|
For information on GECCO-2001 conference in San Francisco on
July 7-11, 2001 and The International Society on Genetic and
Evolutionary Computation    visit: http://www.isgec.org/