Re: <no subject>

Mr. Norbert:

We encountered what would seem to be a rather similar problem in the
petrochemical industry some years ago. It was solved, to the satisfaction of
the company, by:

1. First constructing an Expert System that replicated the existing
process/decision making for scheduling/sequencing/balancing, and then

2. Using permutation search to improve on the solution arrived at by the
Expert System. (I suppose that GAs could be used in place of the permutation
search method if one wanted.)

Since the procedure reduced (per the firm's calculations, not ours) costs at
a rate of 5 million dollars a year, they were quite happy with the $50,000
it cost them for the solution(s). So, while it isn't "mathematically
sophisticated," the approach might be of interest in your situation.

Jim Ignizio

Professor James P. Ignizio
University of Virginia
ignizio@virginia.edu
JUST PUBLISHED! GONE AWRY: A virtual tour through High Tech Hell
http://www.geocities.com/goneawry25