Re: LOCAL SEARCH TALK: 6pm, 10th November 1999 @ City Univ, London

I Have been delighted to learn of the foundation of the Local Search Study
Group.  However, if meetings are to be scheduled in the evenings in London,
these will be very unattractive to those of us who will have problems
getting home on the same day.  I realise that it is difficult to convince
Londoners of this, and I have tried and failed to convince other study
groups which I have consequently ceased to attend.  But I live in hope!

Tony

At 09:48 02/11/99 +0000, Andrew Tuson wrote:

>Dear All,
>
>This talk should be of interest to many of you - I look forward to seeing
>you there...
>
>Andrew Tuson MA(Oxon) MSc(Edin) GRSC - Email: andrewt@soi.city.ac.uk
>
>Lecturer, Department of Computing, City University, London, UK.
>
>********************
>
>OR Society Local Search Study Group
>
>Speaker: Dr C.J. Aldridge, The National Grid Company plc
>
>Title: Better scheduling of transmission line maintenance: what, when and
>       how.
>
>Time: 6pm (for 6.30pm) Wednesday 10th November 1999
>
>Place: Room A529, Department of Computing, City University, Northampton
>       Square, London, EC1V OHB.
>
>Abstract:
>
>Circuits in The National Grid Company plc's transmission network are
>regularly switched out for preventative maintenance. This talk will describe
>how a genetic algorithm has been used to optimise the 30-year schedule of
>maintenance of individual circuits, resulting in substantial reductions in
>total costs and circuit unavailability.
>
>For information on how to get to the venue please consult
>http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/doc/findus.html, or contact Andrew Tuson on
>0171-477-8164 (email: andrewt@soi.city.ac.uk).

Anthony Wren
				email: wren@scs.leeds.ac.uk
Professor of Scheduling and
   Constraint Management      	Phone: +44-113-233-5481
School of Computer Studies   	Fax:   +44-113-233-5468
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT                   Home:  +44-1423-870881
UK

http://www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/staff/wren.html